You probably never thought about the fact that your website’s “About” page is a golden opportunity to connect with your customers. Like many business owners, you’ve probably placed it in the “Afterthought” category, deeming it irrelevant info when there are so many more exciting things to which you’d rather devote your website space and time. Rest assured. Many, MANY business owners make the same mistake.
Here’s the deal: time spent optimizing your “About” page is time well spent. This very page is where you will build trust with your customers because this is where they will understand how you and your brand can help them. Think of this page as an asset which lends overall value and credibility to your company’s products and services. You don’t have to be a skilled writer to get started!
- Is it really all about you? This is going to feel a bit counterintuitive, but the page is not about YOU! You can of course talk about your business, but you’re not the focus of the “About” page. Your customer should be your primary focus; the hero of every story and piece of your website’s content. Consumers want to know that you are all about them, so you need to make them feel included. If they know you are thinking about them, they will be more inclined to trust you to provide solutions to their problems.
- Are you living in the past? Everyone is proud of their roots, especially “pulled-myself-up-by-the-bootstraps” business owners. BUT… you need to live in the present and your “About” section should display your company’s growth from its inception to the present. Briefly showcase your company’s enterprising spirit, but don’t dig too far into the past.
- How can you benefit your customers? Don’t put your consumers to sleep with boring paragraphs of laborious instructions simply to fill up space. Your customers are far more interested in knowing whether the products and services you have to offer them will actually help them! Talk about the benefits of your products or services. Don’t talk about features as much. Focus on how someone will FEEL after they’ve purchased from your business.
- Where’s your humanity? Don’t be afraid to show your human side. This doesn’t mean you should necessarily include your life story on your” About” page, but share enough and in a way that your customer can relate to you. Feature things like team profiles and images. Show your customers that you’re human and achieve a decisive trust factor. Consumers want to feel as though they are getting their information from human beings and not a machine.
- It’s all about the journey! Customers love to know that the business they’re buying from is going to be around for a long time. It raises trust and reassures them that you’re here for the long run. Talk about what’s to come, share your plans, and show how these plans will benefit your customer.
Did you do your homework? In all honesty, you’re wasting your time if you don’t do your SEO homework. Be sure to naturally implement relevant keywords in your “About” section, giving your website another boost up the search engine results ladder. In addition, ensure that your text is Google friendly!
See? That really wasn’t difficult at all! Don’t forget to link your “About” page to your social channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Be sure you tweek accordingly in order to tailor to each specific platform.
In closing, be sure to give your reading customers a few breaks amidst all the text. Consult your web designer and web developer regarding visual appeal that is also functional. You want to ensure your consumers have an excellent user experience on each and every page of your website!